Under the mountain there is an armoury, a channel, and a service, repair and equipment base for submarines. It had been built since 1957 until 1961 by military men, who were later accompanied by specialists in underground construction. It is also an anti-radiation shelter for 3000 people. The maximum width of the rocky ground is 126 meters. The channel has a length of 505 meters, a width of 6-8.5 meters and a depth of 6-8.5 meters. In 1991 the base was closed and the last submarine left in 1996. The base was opened as museum that show the armoury and the channel, but the access to mines, torpedoes and the service, repair and equipment base remain closed for regular viewers.
credit: Land Rover Our Planet